Artichokes with Light Lemon Dipping Sauce
Artichokes are perhaps the most sensuous of vegetables - always eaten with the fingers. Cooking them with lemon slices preserves their color.
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt (Greek style is best)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. organic unfiltered apple juice
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 2 whole artichokes
- 3 qts. water
- 1 whole lemon quartered
- In a medium bow, whisk together all the sauce ingredients.
- Let sit at room temperature.
- Trim the bases of the artichokes so that they stand upright.
- Using kitchen shears, clip the points from the artichoke leaves.
- Bring a pot of water to boil; add the artichokes and lemon.
- Boil, Uncovered, until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain well.
To serve, center each artichoke on a small plate. Spoon the sauce onto its cavity or into a small bowl for dipping.